What Is BPM Software?
Optimize your processes and automate low-value tasks
Business process management software (BPMS) is an enterprise-level software solution to automate repetitive tasks, manage fundamental processing, and handle process logics.
BPM systems optimize and accelerate processes, increasing efficiency. By ensuring that work is handled in a consistent manner and that tasks are delivered to the right users at the right time, business process automation enables staff to focus on higher value work and exception cases.
As a top partner and value-adding reseller of Hyland, ISSI can help ease your organization’s transition to BPM software.
BPM Software vs. Workflow Management Systems
Workflow management systems automate business tasks so work can be routed efficiently to the staff with the best capacity to handle it. This differs from BPM software, which focuses on automating repeatable business activities and services.
Workflow management tasks may be done by a system or by a human, and tackles the more direct process of automating tasks. Business process management is significantly more complicated as it is not a one-time task, and involves ongoing improvements across the entire organization.
BPM Software vs. Project Management Tools
Project management tools work by organizing tasks in a template or blueprint, and moving them along as each completion milestone is reached based on the pre-set timeline. The focus here is on managing projects – including all the steps associated with it (i.e. planning the work, assigning tasks, tracking time, and collaborating with people).
Unlike automation-based BPM software, project management tools take a far simpler approach and require more hands-on input. It is useful for managing the early stages of a project.
Features of Business Process Management Software
The features of an effective business process management solution are:
- Form builder to collect, display, and route relevant data
- Workflow automation for assigning tasks, establishing rules, and setting deadlines
- Approval process for document evaluation and dynamic assignment to approvers
- Customized notifications and alerts, to let users know task status
- Visual process diagramming tool, ideally a visual interface based on business steps
- Electronic forms, to expedite processes and improve information accuracy
- Drag-and-drop form designer, customized to the user’s preferences and expertise
- Role-based access control, to protect information by restricting who can view or edit it
- Mobile support
- Administrator features for an in-house admin to be able to adjust tasks, items, and forms as necessary
- Single sign-on, allowing users to log in with a single set of credentials across multiple business platforms
- Integrations with existing software systems, including API support, webhooks, and other aids to eliminate manual data transfers
- Activity monitoring and dashboards, to deliver instant visibility into system and business health
- Reports and analytics providing process metrics
- Performance for large user bases, to enable scaling as the user base grows
- Process performance metrics, for business leaders to identify areas of improvement
Benefits of Business Process Management Software
An enterprise information platform provides a wide variety of BPM features to optimize your processes exactly how you want them, including:
- Workflow automation
- Dynamic approval
- Electronic forms
- Business activity monitoring and dashboards
- Automated notifications, among others
Improve Departmental Processes with BPMS
The benefits and features of BPMS can be applied organization-wide, across all your departments. Here are just some examples of where business process management software can create an immediate impact:
- Accounts payable
- Accounts receivable
- Contract management
- Enterprise integrations
- Human resources
- Process control
- Facilities management
- Back office
- Engineering change management
Get Started with BPM
Contact us to learn more about BPM software